You probably know that you can add information about your resource when you upload it or save changes to it, right?
And you probably know that if you put anything in the info pane that starts with "http://" or "https://" this is converted into a hyperlink.
(You paste or type the additional information in the large text box -- see the image below.)
Here's what is new:
If you include a link to a Youtube, Vimeo, Teachertube or Schooltube video in any of these formats...
- http://youtu.be/ + video id
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= + video id
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= + video id
- http://vimeo.com/ + video id
- https://vimeo.com/ + video id
- http://www.teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id= + video id
- http://www.schooltube.com/video/ + video id
...this will add a video icon like this...
...to the top of all of the activities for your resource. (See the embedded activity below -- click the play button to view the activity.)
If you click on this video icon, the activity opens in a new window or tab, embedded along with the video.
See this example of what it looks like.
You can even link to the menu screen.
Cool, eh? :0)
(We think so)
So now you can watch and listen as you complete an activity.
Some simple ideas for using this:
- Activity where the text is a transcript of the video (as in the example above).
- Activity where the text describes what happens in the video -- perfect for MovieTalk!!
- Activity where the text is a response to / discussion of what happens in the video.
- Activity which is a grammar activity based on the "flipped" lesson content of the video.
I'm sure you can think of more...
And of course, you can use this feature with textivate sequences too -- for homework or assessment, or simply to enforce an activity sequence in class.
By the way, if you don't want to include a video link along with your resource, but you do want to link to a specific activity, you could try this alternative. Simply follow the instructions to create a weblink to a page with embedded video and an embedded textivate activity.
(Update 21 March 2014 -- This now works for Private resources too :-)
(Update 23 March 2014 -- New feature allows you to show / hide video while you navigate around your textivate activities :-)